Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Go Fore It - Inspired by Snippets by Design

My brother-in-law's birthday was back in June, but his party was cancelled by an unplanned hospital visit.  Thankfully he's fine, but we never did get around to celebrating his birthday.  So when his wife, who is my best friend as well as sister-in-law, celebrated another birthday on October 1st, it seemed like perhaps it was long past due for giving him his gift and card.  I knew he was getting golf clubs for his birthday, so I wanted to keep with the theme. My quest for a golf themed card began with a Google search (yes, a good Google search often is the solution to my inspiration needs) that took me to Snippets by Design where I found an adorable golf card. 

I began by cutting a piece of white card stock down to 4 by 5.25.  I then cut a mask from a piece of scratch paper in the shape of a hill using a French curve (because we all know I cannot draw a straight or a curved line).  I used the top piece to mask off the "sky" and used Mowed Lawn Distress Ink to add the darker hill in the background.  Then I masked off the hill and removed the sky mask.  I colored in the sky with Broken China Distress Ink.  I die cut a couple of clouds from some spare white card stock using the dies from Lawn Fawn's Sunny Skies set.  For the rest, I decided to use the A Perfect Summer 6x6 pad from Echo Park.  I cut one of the green papers down to 4 inches wide then cut in the curve using a French curve.  Once I adhered it to the background, I finished trimming it to size.  Then I drew an oval in my Silhouette software in my Cameo and cut it out of another piece of paper from that pad.  I also hand cut the flag from another sheet from that paper pad. For the hole, I punched a hole from some scrap black paper using (believe it or not) my Cropodile big bite on the largest hole punch setting.  For the golf ball, I used the smaller setting on some scrap white paper.  I cut a long, thin strip from the black scrap paper and cut it down to a height that worked for the card.  Then it was just a matter of taping it all together, cutting off any excess and then mounting it to the background.

For the sentiment, I used the Happy Birthday from a Fiskars set called How Many Candles stamped with Versafine Ink.  For the inside, which I completely forgot to take a picture, I stamped the sentiment "Go fore it!" using Lawn Fawn's Harold's ABCs.  I love that I can customize the sentiment with those stamps and I love how this card turned out.  Too cute and just perfect for the occasion. 

No comments: