Thursday, July 5, 2012

Inspired by Sarah Hamer Designs

In catching up with the blogs last week, I just loved a birthday card I saw on Sarah Hamar's blog.  I decided to give it a try myself.  I started by making a card featuring the star pattern on hers.  I used some DCWV birthday paper I picked up in an open stock sale at Joann's along with some scraps from my scrap bin including some from the Twinkle Twinkle Little Boy line from My Mind's Eye.  I embossed the background with my Sizzix.  I wrote the sentiment in the Silhouette Design Studio and used the print and cut feature to ensure my sentiment was centered.  I used a star pattern in the software to cut stars including the white star layer.  A few pop dots under the stars gave them a little dimension and I finished them off with Irock studs in a blue to tie the blue together.  Super simple and cute!

But I decided to take it another step by trying it with a different pattern.  I kept the layout the same, but his time I used a floral pattern.  I again used the Silhouette Design Studio to write the sentiment and cut it out.  I used the outline feature to cut the paper to mat it on.  Then I found a cute flower in my library.  But it wasn't quite perfect.  It had lines running down the center of each petal.  So I carefully cut out the lines and manipulated the points to clean up the petal cuts.  Then I finished the centers with Irock gems. 
I still think the star card is cuter.  Maybe because I just like the bright colors better... 

No comments: