Monday, September 3, 2012

My first onesie project...

A dear friend's daughter is about to have a baby making my friend a grandmother for the first time.  How weird is that?  My friends are becoming grandmothers.  I guess that really is the signal that I'm too old to become a mom.  Anyhow...I've had this idea about making a onesie for a while and this is the first opportunity to try it out and to try out the heat transfer and rhinestone template materials from Silhouette.  A while back, I bought a great deal on Plum District for Silhouette products.  I ordered heat transfer material, rhinestone template materials and a bunch of rhinestones. It's all sat in the box since the end of July, until now.  I must admit, like anytime I try something new, I was a little intimidated, but then I've been using my Irock for what seems like years and the rhinestones, well aren't they just a bigger form of the Irock? 

So I started with the sweet pea design I had downloaded from Silhouette quite some time back.  I was surprised at how easy the template cut and how easily all the rhinestones were to drop into place.  So now, on to the heat transfer material... well, the video that came in the kit made it look all so easy, but didn't quite explain it very well (well, let's be honest, there were no words spoken on the video and the few printed words in the video didn't answer important questions, such as what setting on the iron?  Neither did the little booklet).  So I cut out my design using the most important piece of information I learned in the video - reversing the text... 

The I ironed... and ironed... and ironed.  Apparently the setting on the iron has to be quite high and I really had to push down firmly on the piece to get the letters to transfer (then had to fix a little boo boo where two of the rhinestones moved).  Once I pulled off the sheeting and pressed the letters one more time (oh and fixed the boo boo where two of the rhinestones moved), I stood back to admire my finished project.  Super cute!
 
And speaking of super cute, how cute was my snoopervisor today when I was shucking the corn to can? 

 
Of course, it wasn't long before he was distracted by the fact that Chewie found the canner box and, well where's there's a box, there's a cat in our household...
 

But with a little patience, and after surviving a little scare when he knocked the box over, he claimed his rightful place.

2 comments:

Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

Cute Onesie! I bought a four pack of them today at Joann as I have a colleague and a manicurist expecting next month. I just bought iron ons, but I've got an iRock from when I was up your way. We'll see what I do ...

Toffee K. Ripple Fuzzypants & Feline American Angels said...

You're NOT too old to be a mom ... Your friends and their kids, mine also, started too damn YOUNG!